26.8.20

Racial Self-Awareness?

A quick query for philosophers and bioethicists.

I've just had cause to revisit Mary Anne Warren's "On the Moral and Legal Status of Abortion", which is where she sets out her five criteria for recognising a creature as a person:
I suggest that the traits which are most central to the concept of personhood, or humanity in the moral sense, are, very roughly, the following:
(1) consciousness (of objects and events external and/or in ternal to the being), and in particular the capacity to feel pain;
(2) reasoning (the developed capacity to solve new and relatively complex problems);
(3) self-motivated activity (activity which is relatively independent of either genetic or direct external control);
(4) the capacity to communicate, by whatever means, messages of an indefinite variety of types, that is, not just with an indefinite number of possible contents, but on indefinitely many possible topics;
(5) the presence of self-concepts, and self-awareness, either individual or racial, or both.
That final six words is bugging me.  What does she mean by "racial"?  It's not used anywhere else in the essay.

That said, the word "race" does appear - again, just the once.  A little earlier, setting out her stall, she had asked us to
[i]magine a space traveler who lands on an unknown planet and encounters a race of beings utterly unlike any he has ever seen or heard of. If he wants to be sure of behaving morally toward these beings, he has to somehow decide whether they are people, and hence have full moral rights, or whether they are the sort of thing which he need not feel guilty about treating as, for example, a source of food.
The emphasis is mine.  So maybe that's it: the word "race" here is used in the same sort of way that we might use it in phrases like "human race".  That being so, the word "racial" would presumably have to be taken to be used in the same sort of way.  Warren isn't being weird about ethnicity.

No ethnicity, no.  But weird all the same.  What on Earth does she mean by "self-awareness, either individual or racial, or both"?

I can tell what individual self-awareness would be.  It's self-awareness in the everyday sense of the term.  But what would "racial self-awareness" be?  Whether we're talking about species or ethnicity, I'm equally mystified.  Inasmuch as that it's not individual, what is the "self" of which one is supposed to be aware?

It can't be a pervasive sense of being human: that would be a bonkers thing to suggest as a criterion for personhood.  Partly, that's because it's not something that'd be apparent to the visitor from another world, so not something that could help decide whether we're persons or not.  Then again, consciousness (of pain) isn't visible to outsiders.  But we can report things like that to people who ask the right questions.  But "racial self-awareness" is not obviously the sort of thing about which our visitor could ask us, or about which we could provide an answer.  If someone asked me if I had racial/ species self-awareness, I'd have to say not, because it's not something I understand.  I don't have a pervasive sense of belonging to the human race, and I don't think that anyone has.  Such a thing seems impossible to pin down, and so adds nothing to our descriptions of our mental state.  How would I distinguish the bit of my self awareness that was human from the bit that was just me?  I don't think I could.  I don't think there is anything; and even if there is, it's not something about which we can say anything, which amounts to the same in this case.

And so there we are.  I don't think it's a big thing; it doesn't really make any difference to Warren's argument.  But I'm curious.  What's she on about?

No comments:

Post a Comment